Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the irresistible revolution

so i'm a little slow getting back to this blog....but i have been thinking about it. :) and now i've discovered even more of my friends who blog, so it takes me longer to catch up on reading them all!

anyway, if i had to pick one book from last year that really impacted me, i would have to refer you to the title of this blog, "the irresistible revolution: living as an ordinary radical" by shane claiborne. honestly this book convicted me and challenged me in a lot of areas - don't read it unless you want a kick in the pants to make some changes in your life.

it could a bit (or a lot) overwhelming and guilt-inducing. the author, shane, does indeed live a radical life compared to most of us. simplicity and communal living are main tenants - and just trying to figure out how to follow Christ in this crazy world and truly make a difference in other's lives. honestly though, i think it's the kind of challenge that most of us need - i know for myself, the goals and challenges i give myself really aren't all that difficult. the ideas that shane puts out there are gonna take some real sacrifice.

i really connected w/him....at first i thought maybe it was b/c he lives in philly. but then as i kept reading i realized that he had to be about my age - he talked about going to work w/ mother teresa one summer while he was in college. it turns out, he was born the same year as i was! anyway, it was really interesting reading about his experiences in india and then making the huge change to come out here to the burbs of chicago to do an internship at the mega-church willow creek.

he talks about how so many churches use most of their tithe money for their own comfort, programs, buildings, etc. instead of the real original purpose of the tithe being to help the poor. he talks about how so few of us really share our lives w/ each other...as in, our belongings, our food, anything that someone else might need. the idea of communal living intrigues me, and phil and i have even talked about getting a bigger apt. w/ the intent of having a college student live w/ us for low rent. a friend of our's from church needed a place to stay for a month over the summer while he was in between leases and he ended up crashing w/ us. it seemed like such a big deal to some people (and to him - he must have thanked us a million times) but we knew it was the least we could do and it was a lot of fun (hopefully he thought so too!). i wish the concept of communal living wasn't so "weird" - it honestly makes so much more sense to share living expenses, household needs (and chores!), etc. similarly, how often do we think to ask our friends if they have something we could borrow before we just run out and buy it b/c we "need" it? we have happily lent out some of our camping gear b/c not that many people in the city own the basic stuff. :)

well, i will have to post some quotes from the book later b/c a friend of mine has it right now. but i have barely scratched the surface and i'm sure i'll be posting about this book again. please read it and let me know your thoughts! good night and happy reading!

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Im still getting used to the time shift here in California. I am just now getting started with my blog reading and writing when most of my friends are getting ready for bed. 8:30 here is 10:30 in the midwest and 11:30 on the east coast. ahhh...

Anyway I did love this book. it really challenged me. It can be easy to live amongst the poor as I have for the past 7 years and yet still be completely isolated with my own life. This book is a must read for the urban and suburban/rural church.

One of my favorite quotes in this book is actually Shane quoting the church father Irenaeus. I am going to mess up the quote because I don't have the book in front of me but it basically says that...
"the gospel without ministry to the poor is heresy!" Love it!

peace,